A very hearty welcome back to all our college students from 2013 and a sincere welcome to all the new Year 6 and Year 8 starters for 2014. We have as always a plethora of new and interesting books to tempt you, both fiction and non-fiction as well as a vast array of excellent eBooks, databases and other electronic resources for you to discover. If you have any queries, comments or suggestions please don’t hesitate to reply to this post, email me or drop down to the Senior Library and say hello. Some true but random facts about 2014. Apart from being the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War (also known as “The Great War” and if you can believe this, “The War to End All Wars”);
2. This year is the centenary of Charlie Chaplin’s film debut in February, 1914.
3. It is also the centenary of the only victory by the Luxembourg football team over France.
4. In 1814, Norway became independent.
5. It is also the bicentenary of the London Beer Flood, when the rupture of a beer vat in London caused a wave of 323,000 gallons of beer which demolished several streets and killed nine people.
7. 1814 also saw the death, by natural causes, of Joseph-Ignace Guillotin, inventor of the Guillotine.
8. This is the 400th anniversary of the marriage in Virginia in 1614 of John Rolfe to Pocahontas.
9. …and in 1314 Robert the Bruce defeated the forces of Edward II at the Battle of Bannockburn.
10. One thousand years ago, in 1014, Sweyn Forkbeard died, opening the way for his son Cnut (Canute) to become King of England.
Thanks to UK newspaper The Daily Express for the above list. If that’s not enough to get you thinking about this year then check out more facts 2014 below.
Take a peak at 2014 with this interactive calendar from timeanddate.com