A very hearty welcome back to all our college students from 2014 and a sincere welcome to all the new Year 6 and Year 8 starters for 2015. We have as always a plethora of new and interesting books to tempt you, both fiction and non-fiction as well as a vast array of excellent eBooks, databases and other electronic resources for you to discover. If you have any queries, comments or suggestions please don’t hesitate to reply to this post, email me or drop down to the Senior Library and say hello. Some true but random facts about 2015:
2015 is not a Leap Year. There are a total of 53 weeks and 52 Sundays in Gregorian Calendar year 2015. While the total number of National / Federal Holidays 2015 are; 11 in USA, 8 in UK, 8 in Canada, etc. out of these 2015 holidays, 5,4, and 3 holidays will be on Monday in USA, UK, and Canada, respectively. Roughly up to 150 Million human births are expected within a period of 365 days of 2015, across the world.
1.The United Nations has declared 2015to be the International Year of Light and the International Year of Soils.2. The Year of Light commemorates the centenary of Einstein’s formulation of the Theory of General Relativity which predicted that lightis deflected by gravity.3. This year is the 800th anniversary of King John issuing the Magna Carta at Runnymede in 1215.
4. It is the 600th anniversary of England’s defeat of the French at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415…
5…and it’s the 200th anniversary of Wellington’s defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo in 1815.
6. In 1815, Humphrey Davy invented the miners lamp.7. Nelson’s mistress Emma Hamilton was born 250 years ago in 1765 and died 200 years ago in 1815.8. Isaac Asimov’s story Runaround, in which he set out the three Laws of Robotics, is set in 2015.
9. Stanley Matthews, Norman Wisdom, Ingrid Bergman, Orson Welles, and Frank Sinatra were all born 100 years ago.
10. This is also the bicentenary of the opening of the world’s first commercial cheese factory, in Switzerland in 1815.
A very hearty welcome back to all our college students from 2013 and a sincere welcome to all the new Year 6 and Year 8 starters for 2014. We have as always a plethora of new and interesting books to tempt you, both fiction and non-fiction as well as a vast array of excellent eBooks, databases and other electronic resources for you to discover. If you have any queries, comments or suggestions please don’t hesitate to reply to this post, email me or drop down to the Senior Library and say hello. Some true but random facts about 2014. Apart from being the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War (also known as “The Great War” and if you can believe this, “The War to End All Wars”);
1. The United Nations has designated 2014 as the International Year of Family Farming and the International Year of Crystallography.
2. This year is the centenary of Charlie Chaplin’s film debut in February, 1914.
3. It is also the centenary of the only victory by the Luxembourg football team over France.
4. In 1814, Norway became independent.
5. It is also the bicentenary of the London Beer Flood, when the rupture of a beer vat in London caused a wave of 323,000 gallons of beer which demolished several streets and killed nine people.
6. Chocolate magnate Henri Nestlé and saxophone inventor Adolphe Sax were both born in 1814.
7. 1814 also saw the death, by natural causes, of Joseph-Ignace Guillotin, inventor of the Guillotine.
8. This is the 400th anniversary of the marriage in Virginia in 1614 of John Rolfe to Pocahontas.
9. …and in 1314 Robert the Bruce defeated the forces of Edward II at the Battle of Bannockburn.
10. One thousand years ago, in 1014, Sweyn Forkbeard died, opening the way for his son Cnut (Canute) to become King of England.
Thanks to UK newspaper The Daily Express for the above list. If that’s not enough to get you thinking about this year then check out more facts 2014 below.
2014 is the Chinese Year of the Horse. Chinese New Year is celebrated on 31 January. For more chinese Astrological facts go here.
Take a peak at 2014 with this interactive calendar from timeanddate.com
Go here to view years that have the same calendar as 2014