2013 was the hottest year in Australia since records began. The Australian Bureau of Meterology has confirmed:
- Summer 2012–13 was the warmest on record nationally, spring was also the warmest on record and winter the third warmest
- Overall, 2013 was Australia’s warmest year on record: annual national mean temperature was +1.20 °C above average
- All States and the Northern Territory ranked in the four warmest years on record
- Nationally-averaged rainfall was slightly below average for the year, with 428 mm (1961–1990 average 465 mm)
- Rainfall was mostly below average for the inland east and centre, and above average for the east coast, northern Tasmania and parts of Western Australia
For a detailed analysis of the weather in 2013 read the full Annual climate statement 2013.
For a host of other great weather and climate sites check out the list below.
Real climate science by real climate scientists.